- The first POSSIBLE (not yet confirmed) case of a mosquito-to-human transmission has been reported in Miami, Florida. This means that the patient with Zika reported no travel to Zika-infested countries and no sexual contact with anyone who had traveled. They have not yet found any mosquitoes positive for the virus in the area.
- The first case of sexual transmission of the Zika virus from a woman to a man has been reported in New York.
- General information on Zika
- Daily reported cases of Zika from the CDC
- How to avoid mosquito bites
- A&M's latest publication on Zika for women
Jul 21, 2016
Zika Virus Updates
Here are some highlights about the Zika virus in the US. It may not be here yet but the mosquitoes in Texas are fully capable of transmitting the disease. Zika is a mild disease for most people, and only 1 out of 5 will even show symptoms. The true danger is the virus's effects on unborn babies; Zika causes microcephaly and other birth defects. Below are some news highlights and reference material if you'd like to know more:
Posted by Alexandra Morris